Last night I went down to the river


Me and Ande Parks (writer of the terrific UNION STATION and CAPOTE IN KANSAS) saw Springsteen and the E Street Band at the Sprint Center here in Kansas City last night. As big a Springsteen fan as I am (and I'm a big one, in case you didn't know) this was actually the first time I'd ever seen The Boss live. Why the hell did I wait so long? I got to hear some of my all-time favorite songs, like "Born to Run," "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Youngstown" and "Candy's Room," as well as tour firsts like "Devils and Dust" and "Cynthia." Bruce played for over 3 hours and looked like he could've played for 3 more when he finally ducked back into the darkness with the crowd still roaring (no way is that man 60 years old). And eventhough there were about 20,000 people there, it was an incredibly intimate show, with Bruce shaking hands with pretty much the entire front rows and even crawling atop the crowd at a couple points. It was unquestionably one of the best shows I've ever seen and probably as close to a religious experience as I've ever come at a concert. Definitely got inspiration for at least another 30 issues of SCALPED just being there. Thanks, Bruce.

4 comments :

Anonymous at: 12:58 PM said...

I'm a huge Springsteen fan as well. I'm glad you finally got to see him live, because, as you now know, it really is a transcendent experience. I saw him last Halloween here in L.A. at the Sports Arena and the band just blew the doors off that place. Remarkable.

- Bob

Anonymous at: 11:37 AM said...

Jason,

That's awesome to hear you're a Springsteen fan! And it makes so much sense, sometimes when I'm reading Scalped I swear I can hear the Nebraska album playing in my head! The last time I saw him play was in the 80's in Sacramento, but seeing him again is on my list of things to do before I kick.

Best,

Justin
13 Minutes

Heff at: 12:49 PM said...

Never understood the Springsteen phenomenon, myself. Maybe I should see him live.

Herc at: 7:40 PM said...

yeah, brother. we saw him here in Charlotte and they blew us away. Even my wife who wasn't really a fan was converted by the end of the night. They make you feel like you're part of the family. Truly one of the best shows I've seen. And I've seen A LOT of shows.
Good meeting you at Heroes.
Peace,
Eraklis Petmezas
illtiki.livejournal.com

Popular Posts

Blog Archive